Tips on Stimulating Forum Debates

Number of replies: 110

Share your ideas about how best to stimulate debate within a forum discussion.

In reply to First post

Re: Tips on Stimulating Forum Debates

by Patrick Etyang -

Probing facts or basic knowledge about a subject that has been posted by a participant can make other participants to explore. In a number of occasions challenging a point made by a participant leads to interrogation of assumptions or conclusions. Furthermore, debate can also be achieved through asking for cause and effect .This enhances discussion within the forum. diagnosis by probing motives or causes allows for further discussion. Other mechanisms fall before the discussion commences like not to allow domination by some members, provision of clear expectations and the facilitator should be visible in the discussion under consideration. Provision of schedule when a discussion is to occur enables the participants to prepare and a result the discussion is likely to be intensive and extensive

In reply to Patrick Etyang

by Barnabas Ikahu -

Patrick, it's true that interrogating someone's point leads to deep thinking. This makes different people look at the point from different perspectives and may result to acquisition of new knowledge.

In reply to Barnabas Ikahu

by Patrick Etyang -

@Ikahu deep thinking attracts further discourse. As a result greater contribution. I agree with you

by Geoffrey Kimalel -

@Etyang. Discouraging domination by some members will give room to others too to contribute.This means the facilitator has to be in control. I like your contribution brother.

In reply to Geoffrey Kimalel

by Patrick Etyang -

@Kimalel I get your point. I support you. we need to carry everyone a long...

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Etyang good points you have there. Discouraging domination is the way to go coz you will be incorporating all.

by Peter Mwangoma -

@Etyang, I agree with your point about providing a schedule for attempting the discussion forums... That is preparing the ground for the discussions to take place successfully.

by Collins Odanga -

i concur with you Etyang, probing is very important. infact, it also bring a feeling of presence or availability to the participants.

by Anthony Nzioki -

Tes Etyang it is true. a well thought out discussion critic makes the discussion to contoniue and gives birth to more ideas

by Ruth Mutua -

yes the expectations should be clearly laid out and the presence of the facilitator. i really agree with you patrick.

by Francis Karanja -

@Patrick I agree with you as it was well stipulated in the Dos and Nos  one need to encourage, inspire and motivate in any discussion.

by Leah Christine Ouko -

@Etyang' i do concur with you.When you avoid domination then everybody is bound to participate. This is good.

by Washington Otula -

Brother Patrick, your ideas are quite pregnant, though I'm finding it rather difficult attempting to control contribution by members, some members nuturally are bound to be more active than others in any any set-up and attempting his fete may discourage some.

by Janet Mayora -

Stanley Mutisya

Relevance 2

use of examples 2

contribution to learning community 2

comprehension 2

Written Quality 2

Timeliness 1

Tone 2

Total 13/14

by Patrick Muriuki -

Etyang I concur with your. When you prop you stir the curiosity and that provoke more debate.

In reply to First post

by Geoffrey Kimalel -

Some of tips are as follow:

• Posing of a probing question that will stimulate participants thinking
  • Make every participants feel free through a courteous welcome and respond to any query
  • Creation of an all-inclusive environment that is comfortable to all
  • Establishment of clear goals and expectations at the onset
  • Foster communication between the participants
  • A support of communication through other platforms like WhatsAp and email
  • Guiding the participants is very prudent. It should be consistent in order to keep the discussion on topic. This means a facilitator has to be in control

In my search for support of for material to support or contribute to the discussion, I came across Harriet W. Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning and got this excerpt that I found relevant to this discussion. My discussion would therefore concur with this: 

Effective facilitation of a discussion involves the recognition and employment of different perspectives and different skills to create an inclusive environment.  In order to do so, it is important to consider the features of effective discussions, and conditions that promote small group interaction and engagement.  Discussion is a powerful mechanism for active learning; a well-facilitated discussion allows the participant to explore new ideas while recognizing and valuing the contributions of others. (https://www.brown.edu/about/administration/sheridan-center/teaching-learning/effective-classroom-practices/discussions-seminars/facilitating)

Edutopia supports this in the following portion:

Discussions can be an excellent strategy for enhancing student motivation, fostering intellectual agility, and encouraging democratic habits. They create opportunities for students to practice and sharpen a number of skills, including the ability to articulate and defend positions, consider different points of view, and enlist and evaluate evidence. (https://www.cmu.edu/teaching/designteach/design/instructionalstrategies/discussions.html

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Geoff very nice presentation brother and with the links you provided I have learnt alot.

by Peter Mwangoma -

@Kimalel, kudos! You have done it again. Very well articulated points you have posted up there. I have learned a lot from the links you have provided here. Well researched work, keep it up bro!

by Anthony Nzioki -

Geoffrey i think the most important aspect here is being objective and focused on the issue in question during the discussion

by Kisach Mary -

@Geoffrey kimalel

The point on creating an all inclusive environment is imperative to ensure that the participants feel safe and secure bearing in mind the diversities of the participants.

by Ruth Mutua -

you have really researched and even the supplementary material from harriet on making sure you create an inclusive environment is very supportive to stimulating online debate forums. 

by Leah Christine Ouko -

Kimalel, this is quite encouraging. I am reading your points and seeing our facilitators Andrew and Benita. It's like these points just describes them in totality. Good work.

by Patrick Muriuki -

Geofrey you have enriched the discussion. This tell's us the importance of reading widely. By doing so we broaden our knowledge of the subject under discussion. Kudos.

In reply to First post

by Barnabas Ikahu -

To stimulate debates in forums we should;-

Provide different viewpoints from what others are presenting. If someone feels exam is the way to go, say there should be totally no exam. Then give reasons for your argument e.g. exams encourage acquisition of knowledge only but not skills. Facilitators in Moodle can use this technique to heat up discussions in forums.

Trying to expand a discussion by considering an area that has not been explored by the participants. Thus you can suggest an area that learners can engage in that is relevant to the discussion e.g. when discussing the rubric, suggest the use of rubric in our school setups.

Giving room for healthy arguments that may not necessarily be right. e.g. participants in this course don't require a facilitator.

Facilitators commenting on posts from participants and encouraging others to in the forum to comment on each others' posts. You may not comment on every post (not possible) but let the learners understand you are reading all posts. The facilitator should make more posts replying to the learners.

Set the minimum number of posts to be made per forum. For a learner to complete a forum, each should for instance have 5 posts.

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Ikahu you've really tried to bring out the forgotten avenue about follow up activities and guided chats. Good points

by Anthony Nzioki -

Ikahu you are right. Exploring all possible answers or inputs in an ongoing discussion is the best way to keep a discussion life and healthy. THis makes all on board during a discussion learn from the varied inputs that are acceptable for the ongoing discussion

by Collins Odanga -

@barnabas, i agree with you that some times it is necessary to ellicit divergent view from the mainstream, but don't you think some times expressing a view which is against your conviction could seem artificial and even frustrating your feeling? take an example of supporting abotion yet your faith or philosophy of life totally disagree.

In reply to Collins Odanga

by Barnabas Ikahu -

Hey Collins, though I advocate for different points of view, I don't support the extremes. You elicit a debate on a grave issue but in a way that all participants would be comfortable discussing. e.g. Are there instances when abortion can be recommended? (going by your example)

by Kisach Mary -

@Barnabus Ikahu

The point on the expansion of the discussion the topic is quite in order ......sometimes participants do not like exploring areas that seems challenging to them but by asking /posing thought provoking questions that engages them in meaningful debate will ensure comprehension of the topic i.e known to unknown and hence meaningful and lively debate or discussion.

by Ruth Mutua -

@barnabas true presenting different views can make the debate be" hot" and this stimulates it.

by Martin Kavua -

@Barnabas I agree with you. However, encouraging debate to go ahead amidst assertions that may not be right from participants may have its own moral and professional challenges. It would be necessary that the facilitators constantly monitors the progress of the debate and ensures that the final conclusions are well informed and fact based. The premise must justify the conclusion. 

In reply to First post

by Jason Ichai -

Best way  to stimulate debate within a forum discussion

• Making everyone feel welcome and this will  encourage the participant to contribute.
  • acknowledging contribution by the participant by supporting their points while posing questions to provoke knowledge deepening.
  • providing support through emails especially when participant experience technical challenges.
  • keeping discussion within the provided topic so that all participant may feel on board other than feeling lost.
In reply to Jason Ichai

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Jason good points you have there especially the mechanism you'll use to curb digression.

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Anthony Nzioki -

Ihai, I want to stress the need for acknoledging everyone on board. All feel accepted and ready to participate. Though at times some may be irrelevant to the point, its always healthy to correct them lovingly

In reply to Anthony Nzioki

by Jason Ichai -

Yes, Antony, acknowledge them and correct!

by Patrick Muriuki -

Yes Antony.. Lovingly this encourage the participant.

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Collins Odanga -

@jason, you have listed very practical ways of elliciting a good atmosphere in any forum. more please.

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Ruth Mutua -

@jason i support you that it is very important to lay down the important to lay down the floor so that the participants can feel free before the debate starts.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Jason Ichai -

@Ruth  thanks for the reassurance and support

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Joel Kahindi -

@jason indeed your argument is within logic in regard to the topic. If this is done, the discussion would be stimulating.

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Washington Otula -

Brother Jason you are perfectly on the point, though, don't you think it will prove tedious maintaining online presence?

In reply to First post

by Stanley Mutisya -

Be focused 

Think ahead of time about where your members need to go it does help to think about the individual needs of your members as you're looking over the upcoming session. Also, have questions in your upcoming group session to fit the needs of your group. relevancy is important.

Be a Guide

you should learn to use guiding statements to keep the session headed in the right direction. Guiding statements are simple modifications that can be dropped in right after the question. For example:

• Let's each take 5 minutes to respond to this question.
  • What one word summarizes your feelings?
  • This is a good warm-up question. How about two of you giving us your answer on this one. these will surely resuscitate boredom. 

Rephrase/ reshape

You can also rephrase the question and ask it again. If the discussion drifts off topic, it can be redirected by rephrasing and taking a second pass. This makes the participants jolt back to the day's topic. also some may have gotten it wrong from the beginning,

Redirect

Also try and use redirecting statements as necessary to help keeping things on topic. It is a polite way shut deviation off the topic. some good ideas may develop and change the direction of the discussion statements like

• That sounds like something we should discuss another time.
  • Let's keep working on this question. We may have time for that one later. These may help bring or restore participants to the topic.

Encourage 

Affirm your members when they make progress on the right way. it takes some effort one to come up with the correct answers or expectation hence need for some sort of encouragement. It boosts the morale of members and  enhance more to come up with  ground breaking points. For example:

• That's great! Thank you for sharing that.
  • we need more of that.
In reply to Stanley Mutisya

by Anthony Nzioki -

I am impressed by the encouragement point. It keeps one willing to give more

by Kisach Mary -

@Stanley Mutisya

There you have it. On the point of rephrasing to ensure the discussion is focused and meets the goals of what is being discussed..this is very paramount in curbing irrelevancy ,for example, how Andrew paraphrased the discussion topic on online presence for easy comprehension.

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Barnabas Ikahu -

@Stanley & @Mary, in a class of say 25 learners, it is difficult to have all learners understand the questions in the same way. Different individuals with different interpretations. It is therefore important to rephrase, paraphrase, reword, restate or even interpret to encourage participation. Some will avoid participating because they are not sure of what is required of them. I agree with your point there.

by Irene Kuria -

@Ikahu the rephrase, paraphrase, reword, restate or even interpret to encourage participation is true. I had to call my facilitator on the first unit. She helped me by replying my posts and asking me guiding questions which in the process of answering i got to understand what am doing.

I even saw it with other participants and it worked.

by Irene Kuria -

@Mutisya i like your points especially the last one'encourage'...when i started the course i was not that confident with my discussions in the forum bt one of my facilitators told me that he likes my work. I felt encouraged and more keen i reading other posts and commenting. Something in me was 'stimulated' and 'debates within forum dissussion' became interesting to me. Imagine tje power of encouraging.

by Ruth Mutua -

@stanley those are very valuable skills that a facilitator should have.

by Lucy Wanja -

Mutisya sure, I like your point there about rephrasing a question to keep the discussion on track.

by Patrick Muriuki -

Yes Stanley I like the point on rephrasing. This reminds the participant to recheck an omission and alert on being skeptical.

In reply to First post

by Lucy Wanja -

The main aim of an online discussion is to help students learn from each other. An instructor should ensure that:

. Social Forums

Set up forums that adddress the social dimension before the start of the facilitation. This acts like a meeting forum because the learners introduce themselves and they get to know who they will be interacting with.

Questioning technique.

Students benefit from the discussions by using clear, open-ended questions that tap into the higher-order-thinking levels of application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. Move to challenging discussions after ensuring that students have posted their sentiments and you haven’t lost any.

Assign responsibilities

Give the learners different roles to ensure active participation by all. The roles may include having a coordinator whose role is to keep the group focused on the task and equalize participation, a time manager, and another may be watch on decorum watch to ensure the ground rules are followed. This may be on rotational basis.

• Talk less and listen more.

For effectiveness, it's important that you talk less and listen more during the facilitation process. It's important to remember that you are there to not only offering your knowledge and experience, but also to help learners become fully involved in their own learning

• Reflect beforehand

As a facilitator, reflect in advance how students will respond to the discussion questions. Be ready for divergent directions. Ensure you plan possible follow-up questions to help ensure that your discussion objectives get met. • Decide who will control discussion topics. In order to have your students involved, one can set all discussion topic areas in advance; to give students time to research on discussion areas. It’s also of great importance if you communicate the roles for each learner.

Feedback

Always ask for feedback and communicate accordingly.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Anthony Nzioki -

Talking less and listening more is a very important vitue on online facilitation skills

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Patrick Etyang -

@Lucy quite elaborate discourse. It is helpful and handy. great work and input

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Kisach Mary -

@Lucy Wanja

you points are good especially on delegation of duties as it will ensure ownership and hence active participation.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Ruth Mutua -

@lucy those points are very important especially feedback is very vital.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Joel Kahindi -

@lucy you are really comprehensive in giving these points. Indeed when this is done, the discussion would be meaningfull and stimulating.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Grace Kinuthia -

As a moderator its important o talk less and listen more during a discussion

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Washington Otula -

Wanja my sister I admire your contribution, your approach has simply killed it, Tis quite smart.

In reply to First post

by Peter Mwangoma -

For successful discussions or debates to happen, there should have been adequate preparedness both on the part of the mover of the debate item and the participant(s) of the motion. This is in terms of resourcefulness of the content matter of discussion. To this end, there is need for provision of support materials from where participants may draw enormous points/content for contribution to the discussion.

Posing activity questions whose responses elicit discussion/explanation drawn from an individual's perspective and reasoning may work a trick at stimulating debates. These particular activities may be  geared towards requirement to give procedures, processes, flow charts, causes or effects to a particular phenomenon. In such a case, subjective questions should come in handy, against the objective ones where usually the result is Yes/No response.

Consequently, it is paramount to create a calm and conducive environment that freely elicits a response from the participants in reaction to the task posed.. 

In reply to Peter Mwangoma

by Anthony Nzioki -

YEs in deed. a mover should be well prepared to give support along the way.

by Ruth Mutua -

@peter i agree with you the questions should provoke discussion.

by Joel Kahindi -

@mwangoma the point you have given can really make a discussion to be stimulating. With no doubt, the facilitator has to adapt and put in use  to some of these suggested tips.

by Mohamed Dhidha -

I agree with you Peter. Questions requiring yes/no answers cannot stimulate a debate.

In reply to First post

by Collins Odanga -

For any debate to be sustainable, motivating, interesting and relevant, you must deliberately deploy some of the following techniques.

• Avoid using big vocabularies or very technical language or wanting to be seen very scholarly. I have a feeling that doing so, will create a tense learning environment.
  • Post precise but interesting subjects for discussion. This will promote the participants to be relevant in their contributions.
  • Appreciate every contributor’s view point and only ask the participants questions that will help to re-direct them when you realize they are getting off from the real issue.
  • Your style of language in all posts should be informal yet professional, friendly yet issue focused and relaxed yet addressing serious issue being discussed. My experience has taught me that doing so, aids in easing off participants to contribute freely without anxiety.
      • Occasionally but in  an amicable manner express your contrary view and challenge the participants to respond. This will assist you as a facilitator to engage the critical mind of the participants. You will agree with me that in many occasions forum debates always shape up to a similar dimension.

by Anthony Nzioki -

Collins, the issue of simple and clear language is a very important part of communication. Online facilitators should embrace it

by Ruth Mutua -

very true @collins the language should be at the level of the participants understanding to enable a good discussion environment.

by Josephat Ong'ang'a Onyancha -

@Collins, truly, an interesting topic will in itself be a motivating factor to a stimulating discussion.

In reply to First post

by Anthony Nzioki -

As a contributor critic the input in a healthy manner as you give your input. As well avoid personalising a topic and clinging to own ideas without accepring others ideas

by Barnabas Ikahu -

@Anthony, if a facilitator personalizes a debate, the learners fail to own and they keep off. It is important that a facilitator give room for other people's views.

by Mohamed Dhidha -

You are right Anthony/Barnabas. Facilitators should be able to accommodate participants views as well to stimulate the debate.

In reply to First post

by Kisach Mary -

Forum debates and discussion  is  a vital tool when it comes to online participation and therefore it should  be lively and accomodative.The following  are some of the ways in which it can be stimulated:

Setting achievable goals and providing clear instructions to avoid frustration  and withdrawal. 

Delegation  of duties to make participants  own the discussion  for example having some to keep time,another one to moderate the discussion  with your assistance and still others to summarize  the discussion  after this also encourages active participation  and enhances leadership  skills  among the participants. 

Provide prompts and cues  to questions that might however  be not clear to ensure smooth continuity of the discussion.

Asking the participants  questions  that will inspire productive conversations  throughout  the discussion  forum.

Maintaining  an environment  of mutual respect and safety by letting the participants  know that each one's  opinion  counts.

Constant motivation and appraising of the participants  and correcting those not following the discussion objective  and rules that govern the discussion. 

Last but not least be a role  model in  for example keeping time,providing feedback and constant  communication  to your participants  through watsup ,e-mail Tec this encourages  their efforts. 

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Ruth Mutua -

very right @mary the facilitator should be a role model and also a mentor.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Barnabas Ikahu -

A well articulated point; a facilitator must set the standards. If s/he is not available and doesn't take part in the discussions, the same should be expected from the participants.

by Rodgers Namwaya -

The main character a facilitator should have is to allow the learners to air their views without being subjective, not to be carried away by personal view on a topic.

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Joel Kahindi -

@kisach the idea of providing prompts and cues is great, this would help participants thinks logically.

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Mohamed Dhidha -

Yes Mary! Respect and safety provide a conducive environment for sustaining the online debate. 

In reply to First post

by Ruth Mutua -

This can be doneas you:

1. provide a conducive environment for the debate.-let them feel comfortable in the platform and free.
  2. pose questions that are relevant and thought provoking.-the question should be able to provoke more discussion. they should also be easy to understand to the participants.
  3. Don't dominate the discussion forum.-allow other participants to participate and feel possession of the learning or the discussion forum. this will be a learner centered activity.
  4. offer guidance to participants.
  5. Encourage participants by coordination.-you can be silent and then pose a comment after sometime. in this way you are able to coordinate and ensure presence.
  6. use grammatically correct language.Use proper language.Spelling errors, and mixed up sentences reflect on you; correct spelling and grammatical construction are a must, so keep in mind to read through your posts before you submit them. Moreover, try to avoid slang words as much as possible, as this is also an online education environment and slang is considered neither academic, nor professional. Don't type in all caps; writing in all capital letters is regarded as shouting, and this, apart from being annoying, it could be considered rude.
  7. Be precise.
    to avoid misunderstanding and confusion to your readers. The best way to test your messages for clarity is to read them aloud before you send them; this way, you will be able to see if they make sense.
  8. Avoid emoticons and “texting” writing.
    Using emoticons and writing in “texting” language, that is by using abbreviations, might be considered too casual or even childish; refrain from them as much as possible. Online discussions require professional writing; smiley faces or linguistic shortcuts are more appropriate for chatting with your friends or instant messaging.
  9. Be explanatory.
    Points can be easily missed if hidden in a flood of text; when making a thorough comment, be as brief as possible.post points individually in more than one focused messages, rather than in a long, overly wordy paragraph.
  10. avoid posting messages that contain only a few words and generic statements, such as “I agree with you”. just explain a little bit.
In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Mohamed Dhidha -

Your points are good Ruth! The dos and donts you have advanced will help generate a debate in a forum.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

@Ruth, your points are well explained. Setting the discussion environment to be conducive to all participants is crucial. Let all the participants know that they can post their feelings freely.

In reply to First post

by Irene Kuria -

Demonstrate relevance

You will agree with me that we consume a certain type of food or even fruit as much when we get to know its nutritional value in our bodies. Same case applies to forum discussions.

According to Carnegie Mellon University it is helpful to tell students up front how you think the skill they gain from participating in discussions will help them in academic and future pursuit.

Having this in mind the participants will be engaged fully in the discussions knowing they will gain as much from the activity.

Encourage.

Who wouldn't love to be appreciated through words like good work,i love your work, this really shows that you reseached well......etc.

I am a beneficiary of encouragment from my facilitators.Participants will atruve to participate and show their best. If all of your25 participants strive to bring their best how well will that discussion be.

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Lucy Wanja -

Irene you are on point! When your learners know what is expected of them in a certain subject, then they are able to do research or even read ahead of the teacher. This a good tip for a facilitator.

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Mohamed Dhidha -

I agree with you Irene. An encouraged participant does their best to generate good points in debates.

In reply to Irene Kuria

@Irene, indeed encouragement is vital. A facilitator needs to commend and appreciate good effort made by a learner in coming up with good ideas/points that are relevant to topic under discussion.

In reply to First post

by Joel Kahindi -

Tips on stimulating forum debate:

A debate can be stimulated by allowing the participants to be free to reply to their peer posts. The facilitator can  also go a head to give a minimum number of post every participant should make to their colleagues posts.This will create a hot and stimulating debate.

The facilitator can also provide a provoking debate question where all participant are required to give their diverse opinion. It will also be in order to moderate the discussion by say asking for support points from the participants for every argument they make. In so doing, the debate would be stimulating.

Some arguments in discussion topics should be supported by references if need be. In any case that the participants quotes direct words from a certain individual, there is need for the participants to acknowledge the actual words and direct quotes. This would make the participants to support their stands meaningfully in the discussion.

A stimulating debate should be one with diverse opinions from participants. Critical thinking is required in giving a reply to any post. The participants should be made to employ this skill so as to create a meaningful discussion. One should not just accept someone's opinion without questioning.The facilitator  should give enough time for participants to prepare to respond to the discussion question.

All these would create general stimulating discussion.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Irene Kuria -

@Joel provoking questions do work alot. Thats good

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Grace Kinuthia -

The idea of Participants supporting their contributions with reference is great, as it will bring in a sense of responsibility and accountability among the participants. In addition plagarism is unethical

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Lucy Wanja -

Joel this is very insightful. collaboration will always help us achieve much. Indeed when learners reply to their peers posts then this sets the ground for debate and therefore learning.

In reply to First post

by Mohamed Dhidha -

Ask a contributing partic to clarify their point,

Don't give a very difficult topic in which participants cannot find points to contribute,

Do not give discouraging/threatening remarks to participants during the forum. Facilitator should have a friendly tone. This helps solicit points from participants,

Ask idle participants for their their point of view about the discussion topic. This keeps participants on their toes and reminds them that facilitator is present/monitoring,

Facilitator should be open and honest and not circurstic in his remarks,

The discussion topic should be within the confines of current course,

Vary the questioning technique to re-vitalise the debate. 

In reply to Mohamed Dhidha

by Grace Kinuthia -

i concure, with the facilitator to encourage the participants to contribute rather than discourage them. In addition, trying to reach to out to the idle or silent participants during the debate, will bring in a sense of equality.

In reply to First post

• Ensure that the discussion topic is free from ambiguity. This will lead all participants into contributing without irrelevancies.
  • Alert the participants about the discussion well in advance. If possible give timelines on when the discussion forum closes. This will lead to timely participation.
  • Track individuals who may take long before contributing to the forum. This will make the facilitator to know if there would be challenges hindering a debator from contributing to the forum discussion.
  • Seek immediate clarications from points that may seem off track. This will assist participants remain relevant in the discussion.
  • Let learners know that active participation counts in the final grade of the course. This will be a motivating factor.
In reply to Josephat Ong'ang'a Onyancha

by Grace Kinuthia -

Seeking immediate clarification when the debate seems to go off track, will enable the objectives of the debate, are met in good time and learning has taken place

by Patrick Muriuki -

@Josephat i truly agree with you and more so on the part of taking too long to respond on other peoples response.. been a victim of it. This might happen if its beyond ones control and the facilitator might think you are done.

by Patrick Muriuki -

@Josephat i truly agree with you and more so on the part of taking too long to respond on other peoples response.. been a victim of it. This might happen if its beyond ones control and the facilitator might think you are done.

In reply to First post

by Grace Kinuthia -

Have a clear objective of what you want your participants to learn at the end of the discussion. This will enable the facilitator to come up with an action plan on how to start the debate, sustain the debate and end the debate. Having clear objectives will also enable one to be able to plan on how well the participants who are physically challenged will be involved in equal measure.

Start the debate with a welcome message. This will enable the participants to feel free to contribute and participate, with confidence throughout the discussion.

When asking or probing for further information from a point given or raised, use open questions which will provoke critical thinking from the participants. Avoid asking questions that will require yes or no answers.

Provoke the silent participants by asking them what their thoughts are based on a point raised by another member, e.g @Alice, @Peter and @ken, in reference to Antony’s point, what do you think would be the consequences? With this Alice, Peter and Ken will have to contribute to the discussion

In reply to Grace Kinuthia

by Lucy Wanja -

Certainly Grace! Having clear objectives enables one to plan their work on time.

In reply to Grace Kinuthia

by Emily Chepngeno -

Clear objectives are essential@Grace. This ensure that the participants keep  them in mind

In reply to First post

by Emily Chepngeno -

Forum debates can be stimulated through

-posting a question to start up the debate with

-Ask direct questions to start with

-use warm and friendly language

-Introduce team work

-Encourage participants to evaluate their own and peer contribution

-Create short term goals and constructive feedback

In reply to Emily Chepngeno

by Janet Mayora -

@ Emily i agree with your points. Good summary

In reply to First post

by Martin Kavua -

Hello there, I concur with most submissions here. However, I would like to emphasize the following: that the initial question asked should be easy and suggestive enough for all participants to contribute to; asking probing questions is necessary in order to keep discussions going; but, @Patrick Etyang, I think responding to every post or inquiry from participants might minimize possibilities for them to respond to each other and build conversation. I suggest that one should respond to posts and questions where participants appear to be facing difficulties. Otherwise, the on line facilitator's main task is to encourage, probe, reward by recognizing exceptional points and generally be present for consultation. 

In reply to First post

by Rodgers Namwaya -

Encourage learners to respond to each other, tether than through you. Learners who post minimally, pick their postings as example for encouragement. Monitor discussion on a constant basis and politely nudgeit back on track. Discourage non-substative post like "I agree" or "Nice post". You should rein in on dominant participants.

In reply to First post

by Washington Otula -

By posting mind provoking queries in a given topic. This has a potential of inciting the group members to react to the problem posed.

In reply to First post

by Janet Mayora -

Allow participants to introduce themselves.

Give clear expectations

Use inclusive language for all to feel part of the debate

Give participants respect and consideration

Encourage them to respect each others' opinion and in case of any negativity, be a moderator.

Give them enough time and space.

In reply to Janet Mayora

by Patrick Muriuki -

Janet well said... a good summary for the right environment.

In reply to First post

by Francis Karanja -

I have been able to follow the discussion and I have three tips to add;

• Set early deadline for posting
  • Include online discussion participation in the course grade
  • make participation requirement explicit. That is good guidance is done

In reply to First post

by Kiruja Kiria -

Encourage early attempts and thank the participants for their contributions

In reply to Kiruja Kiria

by Kiruja Kiria -

Having gone through your contributions other ways coming out include creating time fro the debates, preparations and open type of questions posed

In reply to First post

by Patrick Muriuki -

Colleagues I want to share three areas I feel they contribute towards a stimulus online discussion 

1. Create an inclusive environment                                                                                  

This point addresses what participants bring to the group? (“Characteristics that may give you a unique perspective”) Self-awareness; awareness of others: 

What do I bring to the group?  What surprises or challenges me? 

What behaviors am I most familiar or comfortable with? 

What behaviors challenge me? Plus Dos and Don’ts in an inclusive environment. 
2. Keep discussions constructive and positive 
Make the discussion functional by clarifying the goals of each session to the group by establishing ground rules ie 
–   Share personal experiences rather than make general statements about groups of people (stereotyping). 
3. Encouraging participants 
Asking follow-up questions, and paraphrasing the comments for everyone to ponder.  A combination of initiating and probing questions can be an effective approach to bring out participants’ ideas further. 
Asking the contributor for further clarification and/or elaboration. 
Re-visiting past contributions and incorporating them into subsequent discussions. 
Encouraging others to add their reactions or ideas to build on someone’s comment. 
Not being afraid to admit your own ignorance or confusion if you don’t know something – invite others to provide resources, and use the opportunity to discuss with the group how one might go about researching the issue. 
Discomfort and silence might be there , but balance with a clearly stated context and purpose. You can agree with me that maintaining discussions often means dealing as smoothly as possible with the problems that arise.

In reply to Patrick Muriuki

by Lucy Wanja -

Patrick I can't agree with you more! You are on point! A discussion where everyone feels he/she belongs will be certainly yield fruits.  Clarifying goals in every session ensures that your students do not veer off and discuss irrelevant issues.