Examinations & Competencies

Examinations & Competencies

Number of replies: 136

"Is there a need for an examination if a course is competency based, and if not, how else could we assess whether a competency has been attained?

In reply to First post

Re: Examinations & Competencies

by Peter Mwangoma -

Yes, there should be some kind of an assessment to confirm conformity.. 

In reply to Peter Mwangoma

by Barnabas Ikahu -

A test should be designed not only to test knowledge but competencies as well. More application test items should be encouraged.

by Ruth Mutua -

which type of assessment in particular.

In reply to First post

by Geoffrey Kimalel -

This is very important. Examination/Assessment is very prudent because it enables the instructor/facilitator(KICTCFT) to know whether objectives have been achieved or not. It. The core objective of kictcft is competency. This is the best way to measure competency. It will also facilitate identification of areas that require more attention or improvement and also the kind of pace required in delivering the lesson. I argue therefore argue for.

In reply to Geoffrey Kimalel

by Andrew Moore -

Hi Geoff

I TOTALLY disagree with you! An examination typically tests knowledge and understanding but is a very poor vehicle for testing competency. How can an examination for example demonstrate if a teacher can incorporate ICT into a Project Based Learning lesson? The participant can regurgitate all the theory about PBL and even advantages of ICT etc. but we don't see how that theory is applied. What we need is for the teacher to document what he/she actually did. Consequently I would say a portfolio of evidence is vastly superior to any examination if the course is about competencies.

What you think? Can we do away with the KICTCFT exam and rely only on the portfolio assignments?

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Barnabas Ikahu -

Doing away with exam will encourage laxity. Application questions would make students demonstrate precisely the skills gained through the learning process. Comprehension questions encourages cramming and rote learning.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Mohamed Dhidha -

in my view, what is done is done; but, moving forward, the assignments could be used and also include examine by observing the teacher apply the skill as in lesson observation where comments on strengths and weakness areas are highlighted. The teacher is given time redo the activity for improvement.

Or only application questions are used in the exam.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Collins Odanga -

@Andrew, both KICT CFT and portfolio assignment have a jigsow relationship. you can not do an online examination if you don't possess some ICT SKILL. THEREFORE ONE COMPLEMENTS THE OTHER.

In reply to Collins Odanga

by Ruth Mutua -

i think it depends with the kind of course being done and for this competency based one the exam doesn't need to compliment the other.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Geoffrey Kimalel -

Hi Andrew. Whereas I agree with your comments and argument, I still think that examination is necessary. However, I suggest that more portfolio assignments be done and the examination be allocated lesser percentage. This is just for the sake of ensuring that knowledge and understanding are not left behind.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Rodgers Namwaya -

Yes I like your argument, but I take exams to mean a system of assessment and thus portfolios to me are a better way of assessing competencies. All in all there must be a way of gauging the effects of the learning processes.

In reply to Rodgers Namwaya

by Janet Mayora -

Exams have always been the common way of testing but they should not be the only ones used all the time i think sometimes we should use different ways to find out whether our objectives have been achieved.

by Collins Odanga -

@geoffrey, i agree, it is rather difficult to test whether an objective has been achieved without assessment.

In reply to First post

by Stanley Mutisya -

Exams are very crucial indicators of knowledge acquisition and competencies, but I will definitely argue out the idea of examinations in a competency based course. This is because the only measure required to indicate the competency acquired is through the practical use of the acquired competence. So the measure should vary according to what is expected to be gained. Exam fever can make a very competent fellow fail to to the tensions that come with the expected outcome hence ruling out very competent people. On the other side the exams encourage mastery of the content for the purpose of passing subjecting the competency acquisition and new innovations/ inventions to a stagnation. I would advocate to a more holistic type of measure to accommodate the mastery of content and the actual competency to be or has been gained.

In reply to Stanley Mutisya

by Geoffrey Kimalel -

Mutisya, your argument is well elaborated. But whatever suggestion you propose; in my view it amounts to assessment or evaluation. Competency requires practical experience. But how do you confirm that a participant has acquired the skills? Assessment will prove this. Thank you 

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Kimalel well said thanks but am not over-ruling the fact that we need exams. what am suggesting is that we should have a holistic approach  towards the type of assessment to elicit the required feedback. Examinations are required as you have said.

by Andrew Moore -

I like your critique of the issues with examinations in competency based courses. I think you are very insightful. So what would you suggest as an alternative? You say 'holistic' but what does that mean practically especially in the context of KICTCFT?

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Andrew thanks. By citing holistic as mentioned above means that intelligence can not be measured by exams only there must be other ways of doing so. In our case about using exams to measure competency it would be better to use assignments which elicit the learnt competency. Let me cite an example in the KICTCFT course the PBL unit how can you test that through an exam? because the PBL might be well written, marks awarded but fail upon its excecution to give out the expected outcome. So my argument is as much as the exams are important we need to relie on other avenues like the portfolio assignments to test competency and skill acquisition. 

by Leah Christine Ouko -

@Mutisya, i tend to think intelligence can be measured if assessors use artificial intelligence where questions are randomly asked not necessarily the same type but almost the same response.

In reply to Leah Christine Ouko

by Stanley Mutisya -

@leah that's what we have been used for i.e. measuring intelligence and quoted earlier most of those who were undertaking the KICTCFT scored very high in their portfolio assignments but very poorly in the final exam. what does that mean? In my view other cohorts should be rated only on portfolio marks because that is the only measure that deals with competency.

by Anthony Nzioki -

Let us have sampling in testing to check what a group is good at

by Collins Odanga -

@mutisia, you have shaped this debate to its right context, don't you think that it is posible to design an examination to test what we can do rather than what we can recall and explane?

by Lucy Wanja -

@ Mutisya, maybe a holistic type of measure would be to choose assessment formats that encourage alternative solutions and promote experimentation. For example: the choice of self- regulated learning through self and peer assessment, creating learning environments that allow learners to express themselves across a range of media and communication formats as well as having the content intended learned in an embedded manner.

by Ruth Mutua -

sure stanley exams are not an exact measure to the ability of a person. i agree with your recommendation.

In reply to First post

by Patrick Etyang -

Examination is a detailed inspection of an educational process. It establishes an individual's knowledge or proficiency in a particular subject or skill. This culminates into competency. Online examination is vital as it seeks to provide feedback on diagnosed challenges. As espoused by @Kimalel online examination promotes accountability and improves performance through motivating those in the course. It forms a basis for placement for the graduands of the course.

In reply to Patrick Etyang

by Geoffrey Kimalel -

@Etyang, You've elaborated very clearly sir. Accountability is very necessary

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Etyang nice write up and as you have said when addressing the issue of competency, the online exam are very helpful in that as much as it measures the learnt knowledge, there's also  the competency part of it as one uses the online skills of doing the test. Hence measuring/assessment through exams achieved.

by Andrew Moore -

I don't agree! While knowledge/theory is often an important stepping stone to acquire a skill or competency, in a competency based course, theory is not the end in itself. The way examinations have evolved in recent years where we test memory, and perhaps comprehension, means exams are a poor indicator of ability and competence. I would advocate we axe the KICTCFT exam as it is in reality meaningless. We are supposed to be ensuring that teachers elict skills and know-how not memorize theory.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Patrick Etyang -

@Andry Moore you seem to suggest examination is theory based. Examination for an online course can also be practical based which may not necessarily translate to memorizing. Again before the examination is administered there are inherent practical activities that test skill acquisition which indeed is hinged on knowledge theory. In my opinion blending of theory and practical skills in the course of examination culminates in competent and knowledgeable person

by Admin User -

OK... So how would we do this for KICTCFT? One of the competencies is ..."The teacher can use authoring tools or environments to design online materials." How would we test that in an online examination?

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Leah Christine Ouko -

@Andrew, i too tend to think examinations are in a way meaningless and they instead put a lot of unnecessary pressure to the candidates. Passing is also not very objective as it majorly depends on one's state of mind. if you are well and prepared then you will be good to go but if you happen to fall sick on the examination day, then chances are you may not do as well as you would have. The end result if you have failed is you are considered a failure yet it was for a reason...

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Patrick Muriuki -

@ Andrew i concur with you. Knowledge without relevant hands on is outdated. 

by Joel Kahindi -

@patrick I tend to concur with your argument besides exams should be timely ,i.e they should come at the right time and well supervised.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Anthony Nzioki -

exams helppeople to master content. but practical work helps skills stick

by Ruth Mutua -

yes patrick i think even also the portfolio assignment really played a great part in the placing of the graduands.

In reply to First post

by Grace Kinuthia -

Competency based learning is a way of ensuring that learning has taken place, in that one does not only have the mastery of the knowledge of the content being learnt, but they can effectively demonstrate by way of doing that they have the skill or competency.

Therefore even for competency based learning, an exam is equally important, however the exam should be more of skill based exam. For example, if one is taught computer programming, how do we measure that he/she can program? it can be measured by giving the learner a programming based project to develop.

In reply to Grace Kinuthia

by Andrew Moore -

I follow the logic and it makes sense .... but now describe how you would create an examination paper that ensures we, the facilitators, can tell that a teacher can implement ICT into their lessons and administration, and not restate the theory behind implementation. How do we know that they really can do it?

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Stanley Mutisya -

According to Edward de Bono who says that,

"Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven. - Edward de Bono

For the purpose of measuring competency we should dwell on outcome and not mostly on the theory behind the skill.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Ruth Mutua -

instead of stating the theory behind the implementation the answers can be based on the application of the theory into a present situation in ICT then the teacher would show application of the theory in writing.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Ruth Mutua -

instead of stating the theory behind the implementation the answers can be based on the application of the theory into a present situation in ICT then the teacher would show application of the theory in writing.

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Patrick Muriuki -

Andrew I think that's easy. We can test on lesson preparation and presentation whereby the teacher creates a power point presentation or a video presentation. 

In reply to Grace Kinuthia

by Joel Kahindi -

@grace indeed the power of doing is more important than just the know-how, competency bases courses should focus on skill oriented exams, portfolios and projects.Integration of these  three items would make the course meaningful.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Anthony Nzioki -

there you are on my point. let us stress learning by doing through activity based learning

In reply to First post

by Joel Kahindi -

Its indeed prudent for exams to be offered regardless of whether the course is competency based or knowledge based. Examinations provides a check point  to affirm the acquisition of the stated objectives: skills, attitudes and even knowledge. The student undergoing a course should have countinuous examinations which would account in the final exam.In so doing,the learner would be on toes and active in the process of learning.I therefore advocate for exams besides the portfolio of evidence.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Stanley Mutisya -

@kahindi as earlier discussed what I have gathered so far is that intelligence can not be measured through exams only. Evidence of skill mastery should be assessed. 

by Mohamed Dhidha -

In this type of course mastery of skill should be given more weight.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Admin User -

Thanks Joel. Interesting and it is clear that exams do focus people on their studies but it might be interesting to know that KICTCFT participants, so far, do very poorly in the final exam... Yet their portfolios definitely show evidence of having acquired the competency. 

Is that our exam is a poor one or is it that theory, in the context of KICTCFT, is not really an end in itself and therefore not remembered for its own sake?

In reply to Admin User

by Anthony Nzioki -

Yes admin. I concur. Lets do project based learning and give final exam less marks

In reply to Admin User

by Ruth Mutua -

i think that the exams should be based on application of the knowledge learned rather than recall the exact sentence.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Lucy Wanja -

I concur with you Ruth, examinations should be on application of knowledge.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Ruth Mutua -

joel i think the continuous examinations are catered for by the " continuous" portfolio assignments.

In reply to First post

by Ruth Mutua -

A course that is competence based should NOT need an examination. Leave alone the online course even in our normal tradition curriculum should not have  been exam-oriented. I think i can support mwalimu nyerere who was very much against an exam-oriented education system and rather proposed a skill-oriented education system. we already know the impacts of the same. 

Exams will always test on recall while this course is entailed of knowledge deepening and also more on do(hands-on) than know. therefore i thick these competencies which are tested in a more detailed manner rather than just recall and answering on word or sentence can be more achieving compared to exams. This is a very sure and comprehensive way of assessing. Remember exams are just one way of testing or assessing and not the only way. There are more better ways and these competencies will serve this purpose satisfactorily.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Patrick Etyang -

@Ruth Mutua even with skill oriented system you still have to determine its acquisition

by Patrick Muriuki -

Yes Etyang by testing on an actual project whereby one has to do it.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Irene Kuria -

@Ruth how about we talk of an exam that gives you a chance to put your skills in.written form. An exam that tests you on your ability to perform a skill. The recalling part comes in when an exam gives youmultiple choices and requires definate answers.

I prefer an exam that tests on how i can perform a skill. Meaning each and everyone speaks their minds out. 

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Barnabas Ikahu -

@ Ruth, If you are to teach an individual keyboarding, to surely tell whether the objective was achieved you would as well like to see them do it. Competencies need to as well be measured. The tool (test) prepared for measuring them should be up to the task. A test may not necessarily mean we are exam oriented but rather we want to ascertain if the skills have truly been gained. Thus the test should be formulated to test skills. Better give 5 questions that will achieve your goal than 50 recall ones.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Ruth I like your argument, you are trying to say is we deal with practicals to measure competencies?

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Joel Kahindi -

@Ruth I see the logic in your point, however, not all exam test on recall, unless its knowledge based. skill based exams test on performance of the skills at hand. There is need for smooth integration in testing all the concepts learnt.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Kisach Mary -

@Ruth  mutua I partially  agree with you since even the skills and knowledge  acquired  needs  to be tested......we can do away with recall and answer method but come up with another method that will still test the competencies  for example as seeing individuals  on workplaces or other context.

In reply to Ruth Mutua

by Ruth Mutua -

@all  i was just emphasizing that this is a competence based course and we are talking of it not general learning. i hope you get my point . For this cause you can bear me witness that the best thing is to show evidence through the skills of learning having taken place.

In reply to First post

by Irene Kuria -

There are four stages to go through when learning a language;listening,speaking,reading and writing. One is proved to have mastered a laguage if he or she can speak and finally the ability to write using the learnt language. The speaking and reading may be termed as the 'competence' part. The writing as the 'examination' bit; use of language pattern,grammer and puncuation marks where neccessary.

A teacher may have the ability to use ms word. Type a document,edit and all it entails. By doing an exam then its possible to tell whether the teacher can explain how to go about when using ms word.

What am trying to put across is that anything practical has a theory part of it. Mastery of the theory automatical leads to good compintency in the skill.

An examination can tell more about ones understanding of the skill. 

The examination although must be relevant and test what one learnt.

In conclusion i am for the examination.

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Barnabas Ikahu -

I'm in support of your argument. If one has really mastered the competencies, even the knowledge bit will be produced with ease. Moreover the test can be constructed in such a way that it doesn't rely on recall of information only.

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Irene I partly support you on the exams but let me ask you one question and be honest. The type of exams we currently have do they really apply in the ICT course we had? citing the unit on internet security how do you know that the student has learnt how to be secure online? How do you measure that through an exam? 

my argument is one needs to be competent and not only have the knowledge which he/she can't apply.

by Irene Kuria -

@Stanley if i maybe specific abt KICTCFT final exam. Many paased the portifolio because it tested ones skill. There was no specific answer bt a rubric to guide you in your argument.Portfolios were specific on skill learnt. As for the final exam its setup was not the best according to me. And more so because one had to recall and at times in the process of revising cram somethings.

If the funal exam had questions almost similar to the portfolio setting then the results would have been differrent.

And thats why i said that let the exam test the skill learnt. Let the examiner set questions that wil.generate different answers bt almost in the same line. And thats where the rubric will come in handy.

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Kisach Mary -

@irine I concur with you in that the holistic  skills and knowledge  needs to be tested.

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Joel Kahindi -

@Irene your argument is right, there should be a balance when testing theory and practical skills.Moreover exam at the end of a course put students effort high. They would always be ready to learn and follow instructions.

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Anthony Nzioki -

As answered earlier. exams are good but final exam shoudnt the only tool to measure competence

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Ruth Mutua -

irine i just hope that you are specific to KICTCFT and the course is purely competent based. so  still propose doing away with the exams.

In reply to First post

by Leah Christine Ouko -

I tend to think competency should be practically assessed so an examination is not exactly necessary. This could be like authoring resources, making  podcast depending on what competence needs to be assessed. ICT CFT framework can borrow form this and conduct assessment based on how one can apply the competencies learnt practically.

by Joel Kahindi -

@Leah you have the point, however, other skills like drawing in fine art course would best be tested through a drawing exam besides other skills like dancing in a music lesson.This will affirm the acquisition of the stated skills.

by Ruth Mutua -

sure we are on the same boat. i totally agree with you.

In reply to First post

by Barnabas Ikahu -

Skills need to be assessed practically. Where this is not possible like on an online course, the setting of a test should aim at demonstrating the understanding of the skills learnt. Test items testing higher levels of the Bloom Taxonomy would be more appropriate instead of comprehension.

In case KICTCFT Course has no exam, a participant who knows that only a portfolio assignment will be required can decide to only deal with the portfolio and not bother learning other materials in a given unit. An exam motivates many to study in order to pass. As you study for the exam, the skills learnt are reinforced.

In reply to Barnabas Ikahu

by Irene Kuria -

@Ikahu i like your points. I tend to identify with your argu because i feel tje same way

In reply to Irene Kuria

by Mohamed Dhidha -

How about if the teacher takes a video of him/herself applying the skill and then uploads the video to the system and the facilitators and fellow participants observe, comment and grade?

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Barnabas what you are saying is true i.e. about motivation and so on. But ask me to record a lesson to be broadcasted later how will the exam come in here? If I have learnt the competency I think through the outcome of my lesson one can make a judgement as to if I have mastered the art of recording.

If you subject me through an exam on the same instructing me to explain how to make the same lesson and you rate me as per my mastery of creating rather than doing, I think we will still be at the same spot as we've always been. I still believe through portfolio assignment one's competency is able to be elicited.

by Joel Kahindi -

@Barnabas you are absolutely on the right track creating logic.. sit-in , portfolios, projects and assignments should be integrated in the course of learning.This should be regardless of whatever course; competency based or knowledge based. I agree.

by Josephat Ong'ang'a Onyancha -

@Ikahu, I agree with you on the aspect of practical assessment of skills. However I beg to differ on the examinations part as a way of skill mastery or competence. Instead, i would rather insist on more practical oriented projects to enhance mastery of the skill than subject an individual to exams.

by Ruth Mutua -

barnabus  think you have a point there which is true n terms of testing the whole course and not one unit.

In reply to First post

by Josephat Ong'ang'a Onyancha -

I think in a competency based course, since the main objective is learn a given skill, master it and apply the same in a really life situation, I may not advocate for theoretical exams to prove one's competence. Instead, one should be evaluated through practical assignments where applicable like at classroom level where learners can be given a project to undertake either individually or as a group. A rubric will then be used to check the level of skill mastery. This way, learners will get motivated and work in an environment that is stress free. We all know that exams are stressors. Already, in Kenya, there is a wave of school burning. One of the reasons students are giving is too many exams they are being subjected to. Companies in Kenya are also complaining of graduates with beautiful grades but lack skills that can guarantee them employment. This is worrying our country to the extent of being in top gear to introduce an education system that will not be exam oriented. Our parliamentarians have been rooting for an exam free education system with a transition rate of 100%. I therefore couldn't support exams in a competency based course but projects/portfolio assignments and hope our country focuses on this, where for example learners with special needs can have an opportunity to specialize in a given skill, perfect the same and they too can add value to the society's development. If you visit Jacaranda School for the Mentally Challenged learners in Nairobi, where the Mentally Challenged learners specialize in only one skill, you will appreciate skill oriented learning!

In reply to Josephat Ong'ang'a Onyancha

by Stanley Mutisya -

@Josphat that's the way to go we need to employ fairness in the field of education. Those that are skilled and the intelligent ones. 

by Ruth Mutua -

exactly josephat even the way of assessing affects the kind of individuals that we produce to the society. Focusing to this course i really support your idea. 

by Joel Kahindi -

@josephat you are on the right move in this debate, infact every individual has atleast one certain skill that he or she can do best. Thats why specialisation comes handy to perfect outcome.

In reply to First post

by Kisach Mary -

There's a need of testing competency in order to assess the knowledge  and the skills  that one demonstrate in the workplace or other context.

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Joel Kahindi -

@kisach how should this testing you are talking of be; is it through examinations? shade light please...

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Kisach Mary -

I meant the exam should be more practical oriented than theory this means the skills and knowledge should be tested in the field while one is working or learning.

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Anthony Nzioki -

Some theory is necessary though

In reply to Anthony Nzioki

by Ruth Mutua -

i think the theory is already tested in the portfolio assignment as we did.

In reply to First post

by Kisach Mary -

Competency testing as I said is good as I said but again  it doesn't guarantee that a person will be able to do something  it just verifies that one knows something. 

In reply to Kisach Mary

by Leah Christine Ouko -

Really Mary, i do think if you are able to do something then it means you are well conversant with it and has mastered the art of doing it. You cannot do something say practically and then forget all about it.

by Kisach Mary -
@Leah...it's true but I think through practice and experience it is a bit difficult to forget all that was acquired.
In reply to First post

by Collins Odanga -

The import of examination can never be wished away in any learning environment this is because exams will achieve the following purpose:

·         Inform the facilitator/teacher of weaknesses and strengths of any learner;

·         Give feedback to both the facilitator and the participants;

·         Motivate learning process to take place;

·         Allow for fair grading of learners;

·         Be used as a sieving tool for individuals since opportunities are naturally limited, yet there must be people who will benefit while others although putting their best foot forward, may be positively be discriminated.

Although I am purely pro-examination, the tool must be employed with an aim to test the ICT competency within an individual and not the theoretical aspect of the course.

In reply to Collins Odanga

by Ruth Mutua -

collins i think that these reasons are specific to examinations but also almost all are satisfied by the practicals if not they can be blended to meet the objectives.

In reply to First post

by Lucy Wanja -
Competence based education first identifies particular competencies or skills and enables learners to develop mastery of each competence or skill at their own pace, usually working with a mentor. I strongly believe that competence based courses should not be tested in the traditional testing models but credit should be awarded based on proficiency on the anticipated skills. The learner’s demonstration of skill on the desired proficiency is prove that a desired skill has been attained. Moreover, experts to ensure that we are measuring the right things should conduct assessment on skill acquisition.
In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Peter Mwangoma -

@ Lucy, I sincerely agree with you...an assessment that is inclined towards skill acquisition outcomes is quite productive...Thumps up!

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Ruth Mutua -

yes skills acquisition and competencies are the main focus in competence based learning.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Patrick Muriuki -

Lucy i concur with you, the relevancy of Acomplishmet is when you’ve reached your overall goals and often think about opportunities to use and practice this competency. You consistently meet the expectations of yourself and others. You consider your learning and appreciate the significance of this competency in relationship to your experiences. You demonstrate high quality work that has a positive impact on oneself and the others.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Patrick Muriuki -

Lucy i concur with you, the relevancy of acomplishment in a competency is when you’ve reached your overall goals and often think about opportunities to use and practice this competency. You consistently meet the expectations of yourself and others. You consider your learning and appreciate the significance of this competency in relationship to your experiences. You demonstrate high quality work that has a positive impact on oneself and the others.

In reply to First post

by Peter Mwangoma -

As I had initially submitted, I re-state that an assessment/examination that is hands-on oriented is pivotal in assessing a competency-based assignments. There should be a carefully articulated exam that recommends  a hands-on exercise to assess acquisition of competencies... Just as much as a student teacher may poses the relevant knowledge towards a particular endeavor, this must be evident in his practical exercises where having samples of real competent pieces of work to confirm conformity can be show-cased. For instance, model lesson plans containing the competencies and in-cooperating the relevant skills should come in handy to help check acquisition of competencies. This should provide evidence of application of the skills. An assessment containing hands on activities and resultant outcomes, while following up and spelling out the step by step procedures/processes where necessary is welcome. I rest my case.

by Barnabas Ikahu -

I find the key to this important issue is; "Are we as teachers, trainers, instructors or facilitators ready to change the testing systems and come up with test items that would truly test the competencies?"

The main concerns to such test would include setting time and setting skills, marking and awarding marks, costs involved, much involvement, availability of resources, etc

by Lucy Wanja -

You are on point Ikahu, It is prudent that we come up with ways of testing for competencies in our schools by developing and implementing testing tools, that  would fit into the curriculum and be sustained as testing tools to give authentic assessment.

In reply to Lucy Wanja

by Barnabas Ikahu -

Lucy, our problem is we like shortcuts. We want to do things haphazardly and as a formality. If you fail to prepare well for a given task, the results will clearly show!

by Lucy Wanja -

@ peter, I think we can also champion for the use of the emerging techniques for comprehensive competence-based assessment, such as Learning Analytics and dynamic and interactive software which can be used for self- regulated learning.

by Ruth Mutua -

yeah there can be an exam that focuses on hands on and therefore the objective can be really achieved.

by Joel Kahindi -

@peter its good that you have rested your case by creating logic towards this debate.To your argument I also advocate  the use of ICTs to create  interactive projects to engage all students on course.A rubric would be a parameter to measure the extent of achievement.Great!

In reply to Joel Kahindi

by Jennifer Wambugu -

I think that most of us agree that we should have examinations to measure learning outcomes in a competency based learning.However one area that may pose a challenge to teachers is how to come up with effective assessment tools for learning outcomes related to the affective domain.

In reply to Jennifer Wambugu

by Rodgers Namwaya -
exams are necessary as correctly pointed out by my colleagues, they point the extent to which the set goals have been achieved and also show the strengths and weaknesses of both the learners thus pointing to the necessary remedial needed. on the other hand the competencies to acquire can be modified as necessary from the results of testing.
In reply to First post

by Patrick Muriuki -

Hello colleagues am of the opinion that we need to assess competence by having an assessment tool that can demonstrate achievement not necessarily by having a test. A rating should be established which shows from basically when you have not demonstrated any achievement to when you are exemplary, that is having overall mastery of a competency under review.

Such an assessment tool should indicate how one has developed from the beginning when you have just started to find opportunities to work on a certain competency area followed by how you are developing up to the accomplishment which indicates having reached certain goals of mastery. 

In reply to Patrick Muriuki

by Emily Chepngeno -

I oncur with you patrick, assessment tools are really neccesary

In reply to Patrick Muriuki

by Lucy Wanja -

Patrick you are on point, I suggest we come up with the criteria for such a tool?

In reply to First post

by Washington Otula -

Examination should not always be used as a tool for assessing competencies, instead I advocate for use of projects based assessments. This has a potential of confirming acquisition of specific skills by the learner and it gives more room for creativity and mastery of 21st Century skills.

In reply to Washington Otula

by Jason Ichai -

I agree with you, Otula, but what if the project is not directly being supervised by the competency assessor and the work is perfectly done by someone else and submitted?

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Janet Mayora -

@ Jason, does that mean that someone cannot do an exam for someone else? or exam cheating cannot take place? I believe all ways of testing have their own strengths and weaknesses we just need to be very careful how they are carried out.

In reply to Janet Mayora

by Jason Ichai -

Cheating can and could take place Janet but my feeling were that competency should be gauged through test and actual performance of a task. Blended affairs that is what I meant, so that facilitator can try to seal all lop holes. If it is done this way am sure you will get the best. 

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Kiruja Kiria -

Jason this is a case of the reliability of the assessment tool which is very key in the process

In reply to First post

by Jason Ichai -

Yes,

There should be some form of examination in areas where competency is the objective to help;

• Find out whether participant understand written work.
  • It will help the assessor to make conclusion and award different levels of competency.
  • It is  faster to make competency assessment through exams than through waiting for the participant to perform the task.

although it will be hard for the assessor to know whether  submitted examinations are truly the participant's work, especially when it is done online. So blended method of assessing should be employed: that is exams and ability to perform the technical task(competency) should be used together.

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Ruth Mutua -

i think you have a point @jason. They should be blended.

In reply to Jason Ichai

by Kiruja Kiria -

Jason blending is key to examine as many skills and forms of knowledge as possible

In reply to First post

by Emily Chepngeno -
Examination is necessary even though it tastes a few areas, it also measure a level of understanding of an individual learner and the content knowledge obtained by a participant
In reply to First post

by Emily Chepngeno -
Examination is necessary even though it tastes a few areas, it also measure a level of understanding of an individual learner and the content knowledge obtained by a participant
In reply to Emily Chepngeno

by Francis Karanja -

I feel competency based course is the best and all of our system are going towards this direction. but having come from an objective based system it is good to blend the two and come up with a way of testing the competency achieved even if it is subjecting one to practical to see whether one was able to aquire the necessary skills

In reply to Francis Karanja

by Grace Kinuthia -

The whole idea of blending both ways o evaluating will enable learners to be holistic.

In reply to Francis Karanja

by Kiruja Kiria -

Yes Francis.It is a case of opening up on the mode of assessment

In reply to First post

by Kiruja Kiria -

Yes it is important to have a means of assessing attainment of intended competences. This may vary in for and hence validity and reliability key in the process.

In reply to First post

by Francis Karanja -

Dear all as the discussion continue am bought to the idea that competency assessment is all about providing a way of building the skills and knowledge people need to perform a specific task. Hence no need of exam. It should be an ongoing process of continually building knowledge and skills.